KENYA: US embassy warns of new attacks in Kenya, Gov’t officials restricted from reaching Mombassa
Nairobi (RBC) The U.S embassy in Kenya has warned of what they called an ”imminent threat” of fresh terror attacks in Kenya, a statement released on Saturday said.
The warning said that intelligence reports have revealed that there was a planned attacks on Kenya’s port town of Mombasa and urged Americans to leave Mombassa.
“All U.S. government personnel are required to leave Mombasa,” the embassy said in a statement Friday. But the ordinary American citizens were not refrained from going into Mombassa.
“U.S. private citizens are not subject to the same restrictions, but should consider this information in their travel planning.”
The warning came just hours after the Kenyan police officials declared that they have arrested two Iranian nationals who were alleged for planning attacks inside Mombassa. The men were suspected to have close ties with Al Shabaab members in Somalia.
Al Shabaab fighters in Somalia have already vowed that they will target inside Kenya after the nation last year sent its troops into Somalia.