Somalia: Al-shabab denies reports that they abandoned Kismayo
Kismayo (RBC) after reports came out that al-shabab insurgents are leaving and abandoning kismayo the last stronghold, al-shabab strongly denied reports and rebuffed and said it is propaganda and untrue.
Mohamed Osman Arus the spokesman of Al-shabab has strongly denied reports and mentioned that they have pushed back the allied forces and that they are still in position.
“We are in Kismayo – this is a propaganda war. The Kenyan and Somali forces have already broken off and gone back to their positions,” Mohamed Soman Arus the al=shabab spokesman.
He added ‘’ we killed around 100 Somali and Kenyan soldiers and we push them back’’
However, the situation of the city is calm as residents in the city confirmed to RBC despites some told RBC that Al-shabab had left and moved to JIlib and Kudha island in southern Somalia with armored vehicles and number of militias.
African Union troops who include Kenya Defence Forces together with somalia Transitional federal troops carried out on Monday an offensive and seized many districts from the group although Arus the spokesman for Al-shabab told that they are in position.
The allied forces had been advancing towards Kismayo for months and battling with al-shabab.
Analysts say if Al-shabab loses this strategic stronghold would be a major smash and collapse to Al Shabaab, although Mr Arus said they would fight on regardless.