SOMALIA: THE FIRST 100 DAYS OF THE GOVERNMENT
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF SOMALIA
ACTION PLAN FOR THE FIRST 100 DAYS OF THE GOVERNMENT
In its efforts to restore the nation’s peace, development and stability, and as a first step towards transparency in all its activities and functions, the government of the Federal Republic of Somalia presents the action plan for the first 100 days in office.
The program will address six core areas and functions of the government, that will be the pillars upon which the reconstruction and the restoration of the nation’s glory and sovereignty will stand.
Strategy 1: Restoration of peace and stability
This is the most fundamental pillar and cornerstone for sustainable good governance, and can be accomplished by restructuring and strengthening the following areas:
- Judiciary System
- Governance Building
- Good Governance
- Restructuring and Strengthening of the national security agencies
- Building the capacities of the national armed forces
- Compensating the armed forces for their service to the country
- Creating good relations and understanding between the armed forces and the public based on mutual trust and responsibility
- Establishment of new police stations, and rehabilitation and operationalization of existing ones
- Involving the public in security initiatives
- Complete restoration of security, law and order in Mogadishu
2.1. Judiciary System
- Establishment of an independent judiciary and justice system
- Compensating the Judiciary System staff for their service to the country
- Expediting the court decisions on all cases to increase the effectiveness of the justice system
- Building the capacities of the judges and other staff of the justice system
- Improving the livelihoods of the prisons and inmates, and developing effective rehabilitation plans for the inmates
- Establishment of a commission to monitor and audit the judiciary system, and prisons and corrections services agency.
2.2. Good Governance
- Building a governance system based on competency, integrity, transparency and accountability .
- Preparation of an operational budget for the government
- Establishment of an independent commission to fight corruption.
- Reviewing the country’s financial system.
- Establishment of the national revenue authority
- Establishment of independent financial audit commission
- Establishment of committees to assess the operations of the seaport and airport and advise the government on how to effectively manage these national resources
- Encouraging and supporting independent and responsible media
Ensuring effective cooperation and collaboration among the various government agencies and bodies.
Strategy 2: Economic Recovery
2.1. Livelihood Support
- Establishment of vocational training centers for the Somali youth
- Creation of employment generation programs for the youth and women
- Enforcing an economic policy based on free markets that can attract foreign investment
- Promoting local production taking advantage of the country’s local resources such as agriculture, livestock and fisheries.
2.2. Economic Development
- Commissioning studies and assessments to rehabilitate the major economic infrastructures such as the airports, seaports and road networks
- Commissioning studies and assessments to identify development needs especially in less developed regions.
Strategy 3: Peace and Reconciliation
- Establishment of a national commission for peace and reconciliation
- Establishment of a Fatwa council to advise the government on all religious matters.
Strategy 4: Service Delivery
- Commissioning studies on how to revive the public service delivery such as education, health, environment, water and energy
- Establishment of the Somali Energy Agency
- Establishment of the Somali Water Development Agency
- Setting clear policies and strategies on strengthening the education sector
- Implementation of programs targeting mother and child health.
Strategy 5: National Unity
- Establishment of good working relations among the various regional administrations, and between these administrations and the Federal Government
- Continuation of the dialogue with Somaliland
Strategy 6: International Relations
- Forging good relations with the international community based on mutual interest and cooperation.